Elizabeth’s personal injury practice has particular specialisms in clinical negligence, inquests, employers’ liability and international and travel claims.
She frequently represents parties in trials, CCMCs and application hearings. Elizabeth also has a busy paperwork practice advising and drafting pleadings. She is comfortable acting in multi-track and high value cases. She has dealt with several cases pleaded at over £200,000 in value, including ongoing cases likely to exceed £500,000.
Elizabeth is experienced in clinical negligence cases, and she edits 12KBW’s clinical negligence blog.
Prior to her legal studies, Elizabeth achieved 2 science Masters Degrees, with particular focus on virology, immunology, cancer biology and laboratory research.
Elizabeth regularly acts in a variety of aspects of personal injury litigation, including in employers’ liability and public liability claims. She is familiar with multi-track cases.
In particular, Elizabeth has experience of:
- Employers’ liability claims, especially in relation to the construction industry
- Occupiers’ liability claims
- Highways claims
- Road traffic accident claims, including fatal accidents and LVI cases
Elizabeth is proficient in acting in trials, applications and CCMCs, as well as drafting pleadings and advising on both liability and quantum.Download section
Elizabeth acts for both Claimants and Defendants. She is adept at advising on liability and quantum, as well as settling pleadings and clarifying expert evidence in conference.
With her background of 2 science Masters degrees, Elizabeth is well-placed to understand the complex biological issues which can arise in expert evidence.
Elizabeth has dealt with cases involving:
- Alleged negligence in surgical procedures, in particular orthopaedic surgery and general surgery
- Alleged negligence in diagnostic procedures e.g. colonoscopy
- Delays in diagnosis/treatment, including various types of cancer, stroke, orthopaedic injuries and appendicitis
- Alleged deficiencies in nursing care and care of the elderly, e.g. pressure sores
- Falls risk
- Obstetrics/gynaecology, including those involving uterine injury, ectopic pregnancy
- Neonatal death
- Administration of incorrect medication doses
- Alleged negligence in cannulation, injection, tubing and aspiration
- Urological injuries
- Optometry and ophthalmology
She is happy to act on a CFA basis.
Elizabeth also edits the 12KBW Clinical Negligence blog: https://clinicalnegligence.blog/
International & Travel
Elizabeth is experienced in cases relating to injury and illness abroad.
She is very familiar with claims under the Package Travel Regulations relating to accidents and illness abroad and advising on matters relating to local standards evidence.
Elizabeth is also happy to advise on points relating to applicable law and jurisdiction under the Brussels Recast and Rome II Regulations, as well as dealing with cases under the Athens Convention and Montreal Convention.Download section
Elizabeth represents families and other interested persons at inquests.
She has acted in inquests involving alleged deficiencies in medical care/treatment and in inquests concerning road traffic collisions. She is familiar with PIRs and the application of Article 2. Elizabeth’s recent inquests include:
- Acting for an interested person in an Article 2 jury inquest, where there was a verdict of unlawful killing
- Acting for the family in a case where the delay in investigating, diagnosing and treating sepsis contributed to the death
- Acting for the family in an inquest where the deceased died during a routine medical procedure
- Acting for the families in inquests involving allegations regarding the administration of medication
Elizabeth understands the need for sensitivity in inquests, as well as for a full and fair exploration of the circumstances of each case.
She is happy to act on a CFA basis.Download section
Elizabeth accepts instructions in cases involving mistreatment, abuse and sexual abuse. She understands the involvement of issues of both human rights and tort, as well as limitation.Download section
Elizabeth acts in NIHL and HAVS/VWF cases and is happy to deal with both fast track and high value cases.
Elizabeth has experience of drafting pleadings and advising for Claimants in NIHL cases. She is familiar with the issues of causation and limitation that arise in such cases. She has more recently been instructed in several military NIHL cases.Download section
Elizabeth frequently acts for Defendants in credit hire claims. She has a good knowledge of the case law and takes a forensic approach to quantum.
She is adept at dealing with issues of need, period, intervention and impecuniosity, as well as at analysing basic hire rates evidence.Download section
Elizabeth’s experience of RTA and credit hire claims has often involved issues of insurance law, and she has a good understanding of policy disputes.Download section
Qualifications & Awards
Bar Professional Training Course (Outstanding), BPP University
Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction), BPP University
MPhil, Imperial College London
BA and MSci, Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge (2007-2011)
Queen Mother Scholarship (Major Scholarship), The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
Harmsworth Entrance Exhibition, The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
Certificate of Honour, The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
Personal Injuries Bar Association
Professional Negligence Bar Association
AvMA (Action Against Medical Accidents)
Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury LawyersDownload section