12KBW has a team of barristers specialising in sexual and physical abuse claims. We are instructed by both claimants and defendants in cases involving schools, children’s homes, prisons, local authorities, youth groups (e.g. the Scouts), commercial employers, medical professionals, foster carers, and churches and other religious bodies. We have particular experience of international and group litigation, and social work negligence claims.
Our expertise covers all aspects of abuse claims, including: limitation, consent, vicarious liability, non-delegable duties, causation / apportionment, quantum, human rights, jurisdiction, and disclosure and evidential issues.
12KBW barristers have been instructed in ground-breaking cases in this area:
For claimants this includes:
- group litigation against British Airways for child sexual abuse by a pilot in Kenya
- claims by Iraqi civilians abused and detained by British Army members
- claims by environmental protestors in Peru, and by Sierra Leonean nationals.
For defendants, our cases include:
- striking-out an historical social work negligence claim pre-trial
- representing Ealing Abbey in a sexual abuse case concerning former Father Laurence Soper.
Many of our barristers have experience of Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) claims, and First Tier Tribunal appeals, in sexual and physical assault cases.